Freckles…! What a childhood classic. Choccy, crunchy lil’ bite-sized treats that are sure to send any child (or adult for that matter) into squeals of delight.
I came up with this idea as I wanted to incorporate Sprinkles into a Cake Design, but wanted to do something different rather than throw em’ all on the cake (thought there’s absolutely nuthin’ wrong with that at all). Suddenly, a picture of a giant chocolate freckle popped to mind… What if I made a giant freckle out of sparkly Sprinkles?? Wait, what if I made… LOTS of giant Sprinkly Freckles?! I could call em’ SPECKLES!!
If you’re at loss at what to adorn your beautiful baked creations with (and you’re wanting something a lil’ snazzier than a chocolate sail) than this is just the thing! It’s quick, easy and makes a big, bright impact.
How to Make Sprinkle Freckles aka ‘Speckles’
Materials & Ingredients:
- 1 cup (approx) Compound Chocolate or Candy Melts
- Assortment of Cookie Cutters (plastic or metal)
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- Non-stick Baking Parchment
- Small offset spatula
- Rub vegetable oil on the sharp cutting edge of your chosen cookie cutters
- Melt down the White Compound Chocolate/Candy Melts (pre-coloured or white) in the microwave or bain marie (double boiler)
- Pour the melted chocolate or melts onto a clean sheet of non-stick baking parchment and smooth out with an offset spatula (I also place a cutting mat underneath the parchment so it’s easy to transfer to the fridge afterwards)
- Pick up the Parchment from both edges with 2 hands and lightly tap/drop it onto the bench to help the chocolate smooth out perfectly. Do this 1-3 times.
- Before the chocolate sets, place your cookie cutter directly onto the smoothed melted chocolate. Once placed, be sure not to move them around. Try and place them as close to each other as possible.
- Very quickly, sprinkle in your Sprinkles of choice into the cookie cutters. Do this whilst the chocolate is still melt-y.
- Once you’ve covered the insides of your cookie cutters with sprinkles, transfer the entire sheet to the fridge and chill for 10 minutes
- Carefully remove the cookie cutters from the set chocolate and unmould your Sprinkle Freckles. Your SPECKLES are now finished and ready to decorate with!
Note: Speckles can be made ahead of time and kept in cool room temperature away from sunlight. You may also keep them in the fridge if necessary for your local climate.
*Additional Tip: To prop them up, Buttercream or big balls of gumpaste placed behind the Speckles work as great as supports 😉
Use them to top cupcakes, cakes or even decorate pastries… The possibilities are endless! What will you decorate with Sprinkle Freckles? I can’t wait to see so remember to tag me on Instagram and Facebook so I can see and share your incredible work!